Anyone may join North Star Therapy Animals, whether or not they are registered as a therapy animal team with another organization. Current Pet Partners® registered handlers and animals who intend to do facility visits should register for the Team Membership.
People who do not have a current Pet Partners® registration or who do not have an animal partner can opt for the Individual Membership.
North Star Therapy Animals’ two membership options are outlined below:
All Team Memberships require a current registration with the Pet Partners® program.
- You will need to submit a copy of your current Pet Partners® registration card to North Star Therapy Animals’ Membership Coordinator and pay your annual dues.
- The handler will need to meet with a new member mentor to complete a NSTA orientation session. This one-on-one meeting is designed to familiarize you with the programs we offer, how we can be of assistance to you, and answer any questions you may have.
- You will need to commit to at least one (1) year of volunteering with NSTA, and commit to volunteering at least one (1) time per month (at the facility of your choice). You will also need to report your hours each month (along with specific details) via our website.
- You will need to attend a minimum of two (2) NSTA group meetings per year. These meetings are designed to give everyone a chance to meet other NSTA members, keep everyone apprised of NSTA news and events, to provide educational opportunities, and allow time for questions and discussion. There are six (6) regularly scheduled meetings per year – one every other month, starting in January.
All participation at this level must be done without an animal partner.
Membership at this level allows individuals to attend NSTA volunteer meetings, access the members-only section of our website, to socialize and network with others who are involved in animal therapy, to participate in educational opportunities, and to offer assistance to the group.
- The individual will need to meet with a new member mentor to complete our orientation session. This one-on-one meeting is designed to familiarize you with the programs we offer and to answer any questions you may have.